Environmental Services of Balmer Lawrie
Occupational Health Safety, Environment Protection
The Company accords high priority to Occupational Health & Safety, Environment Protection & Sustainability and has established Environment & Occupational Health Management System across the organization. Major plants/ branches are ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 certified. The company has taken various initiatives to minimize the pollution load of the operations. Treatment & disposal of effluents conforms to the statutory requirements. Air emissions also strictly adhere to the norms as laid down in Environment Protection Act 1986. Disposal of hazardous waste is being done strictly as per Hazardous Waste Rules 2008 & Occupational Health & Safety standards are maintained as per Factories Act 1948.
Employee Health & Safety:The Company accords high priority to Employee Health &Safety. In pursuance of this the Company has established an integrated Health & Safety Management System across the organization. The Company has published HSE Manual which would be used as reference book in plants and other establishments of the Company. The Company carries out HSE audit for all its manufacturing and Container Freight stations as per the HSE audit protocol of the manual. The company has also introduced HSE MIS system for all manufacturing & CFS units. Every plant/CFS unit submits a monthly HSE MIS to corporate office enabling taking corrective steps. Major plants / units of the Company are OHSAS 18001 certified. All Occupational Health & Safety Standards are adhered to as per The Factories Act, 1948. Major initiatives /activities undertaken in this domain in are as follows
- HSE Audits were carried out in all manufacturing units/establishment of the Company during the year and recommendations thereof implemented.
- Fire protection system/ Hydrant system installed in Asaoti plant of Industrial Packaging division.
- Behavior based safety carried out for all Plant managers, Maintenance managers and Operational managers.
- External Electrical Safety audit carried out at all the plants of Manufacturing Business.
- Two days workshop on Electrical safety carried out at Head Office for both Manufacturing and Service Business.
- Conducted HSE awareness training for employees involving 700 man-hours.
- Project HSE plan implemented at the green field project sites of Temperature Controlled Warehouse at Rai.
- Observed Safety Week from 4th to 11th March 2017 across all plants and establishments of the Company.
- Defensive Driving training carried out for Kolkata based employees to create awareness on Road safety.
- Crisis Management Plan developed and rolled out for all business in August 2016.
Management of Change (MOC) procedure rolled out last year has been implemented in most of the manufacturing plants
Environment Protection & Sustainability:
- BL is the founding member of UN Global Compact in India
- Two tier Organizational structure is in place to drive CSR & Sustainability initiatives in the Company
- The Company has installed 200 KWp of Solar Plant at Manali complex Chennai and 100 KWp solar plant at roof top of IP Asaoti. Both plants cumulatively has capacity to offset around 400 Tons of carbon dioxide each year.
- CSR & Sustainable Development (SD) Committees formed at Corporate & Regional levels
- Regular Training & awareness programs to sensitize people are being conducted for employees in the areas of CSR & SD The Long term CSR & SD plans have been developed To reduce carbon footprint related to to / fro transportation of containers from Kolkata Port to our CFS, the company has built an Integrated Railway Siding between Kolkata Port & CFS.
- Energy efficient welding machines have been installed in Silvassa and Asaoti plants of Industrial Packaging.
- Exercise on Operational Excellence was conducted at Silvassa Drum manufacturing plant in association with Price Waterhouse Cooper(PWC), which resulted in significant savings through improved productivity, machine up time, on-time-in-full delivery, quality and reduction in energy consumption.
- Adoption of implementation of 83% of the recommendations made by KPMG for greening of supply chain of Greases & Lubricant Business
- The Company continues to give thrust on technological up-gradations in the manufacturing processes to ensure that adverse impact of our operations on the environment is minimal. The Application Research Laboratory of the Company has made significant progress in developing a number of biodegradable lubricants like hydraulic fluids, gear oils for high temperature applications for enclosed and open gear boxes, engine oils for 4 stroke gasoline engines etc.
- Introduced light weight steel drum thus saving significant natural resources.
- Introduced specially designed steel drum with reduced external dia. enabling loading of 80 drums in a TEU instead of 76 drums.
- Introduced Low VOC paint at our Sewree drum manufacturing plant.
- Setting up new environment friendly high throughput steel drum mfg. plant with:
- LEED certification
- Solar power plant
- No degreasing unit
- Introduced pressure kettles for grease processing bringing down processing time substantially.
- Developing Bio-degradable greases
- Energy audits done periodically at all manufacturing units to improve on energy efficiency.
- Development of environmental friendly
Phenol - free syntans
Modified vegetable syntans
In future the focus will be on reducing carbon footprints, water footprints, waste footprints & investment in Solar Power generation at various manufacturing units of the organization.