Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
1. Swachh Vidyalaya: Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
a. 330 toilets were constructed in the states of West Bengal, Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Haryana for the students of primary government schools. It was committed by Balmer Lawrie to maintain the toilets at least for 5 years. Therefore, our Company is maintaining the toilets as per need in West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh and Haryana. Taking a step ahead our Company also refurbished/repaired the toilets which are in use for the last 3 years from the date of commencement.
b.Balmer Lawrie sponsored the construction of a toilet block in Chatrapati Shivaji Vidyalaya, Palaspe, Panvel
c. A total number of 25 toilets were constructed in the government schools and hospital at Bhavi and Kedhapa in Rajasthan.
d. A toilet block for tribal boys and girls has been constructed at Chavane Village, Maharashtra
2. Balmer Lawrie sponsored the construction of two community/public toilets at Panvel in Maharashtra and Anand Vihar in New Delhi.
3. As part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Balmer Lawrie has adopted the Sayali village in Silvassa and has sponsored the construction of a water tank for providing clean drinking water to the villagers. This initiative has benefited 5000 villagers.
4. A water tank with a capacity of 1.50 lakh litres was installed at the Padghe village in Taloja, Maharashtra near our Industrial Packaging Plant. This tank will benefit at least 10,000 villagers residing in the villages.
5. Under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, a Composting Unit to convert organic waste into manure was installed at Victoria Memorial, Kolkata, which is a heritage site
6. As an initiative under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, a garden (Maharashi Karve Udyan) for the physically challenged children at Wadala, Mumbai has been supported by Balmer Lawrie and is being maintained by the Rotary club of Wadala.
7. Swachh Bharat Pakhwada/ National Cleanliness Week
a. Swachh Bharat Pakhwada was observed from 16th to 31st December 2017. Cleanliness drives were organised across units and establishments and various programs were organised across locations to generate awareness. A medical camp for scavenging workers of Chennai Corporation, Manali region was organised during the Pakhwada. 150 workers benefitted from the camp which had the provision for testing hemoglobin, blood grouping and typing, random blood sugar, blood cholesterol, blood creatinine, total blood count, blood differential count, urine albumin, urine deposits, urine sugar, Hepatitis B, TB and cervical cancer. General check-up by the physician was also carried out. A medical camp was also organised at Silvassa for the house keeping staff.
b.To spread awareness on cleanliness as part of ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’, Balmer Lawrie celebrated the Swachh Bharat Pakhwada across all its units and offices from 16th to 31st July, 2017. Various activities were conducted during the fortnight. The Pakhwara kicked off with employees taking the Swachhta Pledge. Cleanliness activities at the work place as well as in and around factories were carried out during the fortnight along with tree plantation drives. A “Swachh Karyasthal” contest was organized for all the employees. For community engagement and participation during the Pakhwara, workshop on health and sanitation was organized for principals and teachers in Joynagar, West Bengal. Also, as a part of the campaign, schools in West Bengal, Haryana and Andhra Pradesh were visited to assess the cleanliness of the toilets constructed by Balmer Lawrie under ‘Swachh Vidyalaya’. A Swachhta Walkathon was orgnised at Kolkata and Delhi.
c. Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) under Ministry of Science & Technology observed Swachhta Pakhwada as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission between 1st and 15th November, 2017. Our Application Research Laboratory (ARL) at Greases & Lubricants – Kolkata, being a DSIR recognized R&D Unit since November 1981, observed the Swachhta Pakhwada during the same period. Various activities like cleaning of the factory premises, plantation of saplings, extempore speeches by employees, quiz contests and awareness programs were organised to reinforce the significance of cleanliness at the workplace.
d.Balmer Lawrie joined the ‘Swachhta hi Seva’ movement and organized various cleanliness activities not only in its units and establishments but also in the schools and villages near its factories. Various activities were organized like the Swachh Karyasthal contest, essay and drawing competitions for school students, cleanliness drives, Swachhta awareness sessions, distribution of dustbins, personal hygiene sessions for girl students and distribution of sanitary napkins.
e.Balmer Lawrie also distributed waste bins, conducted rallies, quiz, essay competition and awareness programmes in schools of South 24 Parganas during National Cleanliness Week
8. Ghat Kahon Project
Balmer Lawrie, as part of the Swachh Bharat initiative, sponsored the beautification of three ghats along the Hoogly river. The Hooghly river holds immense religious and social significance for the people in Kolkata and the Eastern Region. Balmer Lawrie, in association with Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT) and Times of India, carried out the beautification of the Bagbazar Ghat, Moti Seal Ghat and Ram Krishnapur Ghat under the ‘Ghat Kahon’ project. The spruced up ghats have been open to the public.
Moti Seal Ghat
Ram Krishanapur Ghat
Education and Child Sustenance
1. Balmer Lawrie supports two Family Homes at SOS Children’s Village – 1 in Kolkata and 1 in Vishakhapatnam
2. Two classrooms are being sponsored under the “Corporate Leverage and Support Scheme” (CLASS) of Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy (IICP) for supporting the differently abled, particularly children suffering from cerebral palsy. In all 30 children are being supported. Balmer Lawrie also supports IICP in their fund raising for the charity Golf Tournament - “Hope Cup” which is held annually in Kolkata
3. The Company extended support to projects focused on the upliftment of the tribal students, run by Friends of Tribal Society known as EKAL Vidyalayas. Balmer Lawrie sponsored Rs. 10 lakhs for these vidyalayas catering to the tribal populace.
1. Balmer Lawrie sponsored Rs 50 lakhs for the construction of the Mogapair School at Chennai. This school is an initiative taken by various stakeholders to build a model school where only girl students from the marginalized communities are enrolled.
2. Balmer Lawrie gave away scholarships to 65 economically backward/ physically challenged students in the year 2013-14 for pursuing Engineering Degree/Diploma Courses across the country.
3. Infrastructural support to schools, including toilets - 2400 school children of Dara Adarsh Vidya Mandir in West Bengal benefitted from this initiative.
4. Education and Overall development of 100 children from slums in and around Kolkata.
5. Development of Learning Centre (Library including all facilities) was constructed for the students of Khadoli Village, Silvassa to enhance their knowledge and skills
1. Balmer Lawrie assessed the needs of a Hospital in Ranipet, Tamil Nadu and donated a sonography machine, that would benefit the people residing in the vicinity.
2. The Balmer Lawrie sponsored Mobile Health Van run by Helpage India at Manali, Chennai provides medical care especially for the elderly people, catering to 12000 patients annually.
3. An incinerator and vending machine for sanitary napkins was installed in four government schools at Kolkata in West Bengal and behavioral training was carried out for the adolescent children and their parents.
4. An eye check-up camp was organised for the local community in Sayali Village near Silvassa, where the Company has some of the key manufacturing units. In all 248 people including workmen and their families and local villagers were covered. 138 spectacles were distributed to the local villagers.
1. Balmer Lawrie initiated Health check-up camps for drivers of commercial vehicles in Kolkata and subsequently 25 health camps were conducted across India, benefiting more than 50,000 drivers.
2. Reduction of infant mortality rate through special clinic - Child In Need Institute (CINI). 12,000 beneficiaries include mothers and children from 0-5 years were being benefitted every year.
1. Skill Development Institutes (SDI) are being set up at various places in the country by the member companies of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOPNG), Govt. of India. As a member company, Balmer Lawrie contributed Rs 175.00 Lakhs for the institutes at Ahmedabad, Raibareli, Guwahati, Visakhapatnam, Kochi and Bhubaneswar as per the funding module set up by MoPNG.
3. Balmer Lawrie in collaboration with IATA Training & Development Institute and Trade-Wings Institute of Management imparted three-month training in travel & tourism to 105 girls from the economically weaker sections
4. Vocational training to youth on different trades - Around 150 youth have benefitted from these trainings.
Statue of Unity
An iconic 182 meter tall statue (tallest in the world), dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India, is being built at the Sadhu-Bet Island, surrounding the Sardar Sarovar Dam in the Narmada district of Gujarat. Through this project, the government intends to promote inclusive and equitable socio economic growth in the region with tourism development as the key tool.
A contribution of Rs. 1 crore is being made by Balmer Lawrie for the construction of the Statue of Unity.